Event Start Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2017
Event End Date: Wednesday, July 31, 2018
Program begins every February and August. Please review the website for further information: www.functionalmedicinecoaching.org.
Functional Medicine Coaching Academy Health Coaching Program
The Functional Medicine Health Coaching Academy (FMCA) is a health coaching program established in collaboration with The Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM). The Functional Medicine Health Coaching program offers a curriculum that blends the principles of Functional Medicine with positive psychology coaching skills and mind-body medicine. The program includes a supervised practicum and is taught by IFM faculty and leaders in positive psychology coaching. The program is an Approved Transition Program per the ICHWC standards. Health and wellness coaches who have met ICHWC’s requirements and completed the Functional Medicine Coaching Academy, Inc. program will qualify to sit for the ICHWC exam.
The Functional Medicine Coaching Academy curriculum integrates the art of coaching with principles of Functional Medicine, nutrition, the psychology of eating, mind-body medicine and positive psychology. Continued development of coaching core competencies within this context is emphasized. Learning centers around case studies and personal exploration. We emphasize practical application of concepts so that you graduate with the knowledge, skills and confidence to apply these concepts effectively.
Monthly modules consist of webinars and interviews with Institute for Functional Medicine faculty and certified practitioners, experts in mind-body medicine and positive psychology, and leaders in coaching. Content is delivered through webinars and activities on Canvas, a cloud-based learning management system. Modules are released monthly and students may work at their own pace to complete discussions, quizzes, case studies, and assignments. The program is one year long. In the first half of the program, content is focused on theory and core competencies. In the second half, there are less webinars and the focus shifts to the completion of the practicum. The Functional Medicine Coaching Academy has the benefit of providing a Coaching Center in which clients enroll for coaching sessions by students. Practicum supervision is also required and students must attend 10 of 12 supervision sessions. A final case study is presented at the end of the practicum. Students will also complete a final exam.
1. Continued development of fundamental coaching competencies as set forth by the International Consortium for Health and Wellness Coaches (ICHWC).
2. Meet Professional and Ethical Standards, as set forth by the International Consortium for Health and Wellness Coaches (ICHWC).
3. Demonstrate effective use of the positive psychology model of coaching to engage clients and inspire them to initiate and sustain lifestyle changes.
4. Demonstrate understanding of Functional Medicine (FM) and apply it as a theoretical framework to educate and guide clients.
5. Demonstrate understanding of functional nutrition and know how to appropriately use the various food plans.
6. Acquire knowledge of psychology of eating principles to help clients understand the myriad influences on their food choices and eating behaviors.
7. Incorporate a variety of mind-body techniques and be able to personalize them for clients.
Please refer to the website for additional information: www.functionalmedicinecoaching.org
Number of Core Competency (CC) credits: 33.5